"Renew Our Rivers" Annual Cleanup
November 4 & 5, 2016
Lake Martin Resource Association (LMRA), Alabama Power Company (APCo), Russell Lands, TowBoat US-Lake Martin and Advanced Disposal are once again coordinating the annual “Renew our Rivers” cleanup of Lake Martin shoreline and adjacent roadways. The combined efforts of more than 300 volunteers removed more than nine tons of trash in 2015.
This year’s effort will once again be focused on littered shoreline and roadsides leading to public boat ramps. Additional efforts will be made to get neighborhoods throughout the Lake Martin community involved. The partnership with Wind Creek Park was a huge success last year and will be included again this year.
We are also excited about including the Blue Creek area this year with the addition of Singleton’s Blue Creek Marina as a dumpster location.
Volunteers are again encouraged to work independently with their clean up efforts and deliver the bagged trash to dumpsters which will also be located at the Kowaliga Public Ramp, and Wind Creek Park Marina. If transporting the bagged trash proves to be difficult, arrangements can be made to have it picked up.
Supplies will be made available and volunteers who deliver bagged trash or items to the dumpsters that have been retrieved from the shoreline of Lake Martin, adjacent roadsides or neighborhoods in the Lake Martin Community will receive a custom designed tee shirt featuring art work from the “Renew our Rivers” art contest held annually at Stephens School.
Here is the way it will work:
- Volunteers can pick up supplies at dumpster locations from 8:00 to 12:00 on both Friday (4th) and Saturday (5th)
- On Friday (4th) Russell Lands Associates and other volunteers will meet at 7:45 at Russell Lands office to receive supplies and assignments
- Trash can be deposited in the dumpsters on Friday November 4th and Saturday November 5th from 8:00 AM to 12:00 PM
- Volunteers will be urged to separate recyclables which will be accumulated and delivered to the Alexander City Recycling Center
- Saturday (5th) Wind Creek Park officials will shuttle volunteers to designated shoreline within park boundaries
- On Saturday (5th) local Scout groups will clean designated areas and gather at Wind Creek Park afterward for a hot dog “cook out” courtesy of Marshall Griffin, Manager of Alabama Power Company offices in Alexander City and Dadeville
Volunteers will be available at the dumpster sites to assist in unloading boats or vehicles during the hours of the cleanup.
For more information contact email@example.com